Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Turning a Burl

Wow! Awesome! Incredible! Exciting!

Our Tuesday morning turning with Anne was at Ray's yesterday. Ray turns burls - large growths on the trunk of a tree.. The grain appears in swirls with wonderful patterns. The colours in the Brown Mallee burls we chose, vary from a soft and reddish brown through to a rich cream. As pointed out, you don't know how your bowl will turn out until you start , when the design emerges from the wood itself. My bowl revealed a winged rim with the most superb natural edge. As we worked the edge, breaking off the bark, little spiky bits began to pop into view which I found really exciting. Cleaning them off was done with a wire brush. The "bits" reminded me of the middle stem of a carrot and the thick root type growths you sometimes see growing out from the central core.

Turning the burl was like rattling along a 4 x 4 track compared with travelling on a tarred freeway. It was jolty and tough but oh so satisfying. Oh dear think I have a problem, need a program to help with this addiction. Hi my name is Susan. I'm a wood turner!
Tools used for the burl bowl were: bowl gouge (which I bought from an old chap at the club called Harry) which gives a lovely cut, especially after Ray demonstrated how to resharpen it, reverse end scraper (think that's right), skew chisel, sanding blocks and an electric sander with different screw on graded disc ends. After sanding we brushed on a varnish with an old toothbrush then rubbed it off right away. Don't think I was quite quick enough with mine. Alison managed two coats on her smaller bowl. I did one and need to go back and do a second before we tackle the inside next week.
Ray and his wife were so hospitable, not only giving up their time but also providing Alison and I with a delicious lunch. Their place is lovely, one and a half acres of conservation type plot, where Ray has been clearing paths leading down to a little dam and eating area. They have alot of birds who visit them on their deck.
The Australian wood turners I have met have been so generous with their time, advice, skills and even their materials. I feel lucky to have met them all.
The burl continues next Tuesday when we tackle the inside. I cannot wait to work the rim with it's striking white edge and hope to do the inside justice because the outside just looks fabulous.
The latest club newsletter puts me down as a volunteer to help with the next kids class in the December holidays. It would be fun and good to return some of the time others have so freely given to me, especially Anne. My daughter Shona is desperate to have a try so it would be good if there was a place for her. Need more hours in the day to get into the garage and onto my lathe. First job - Christmas gifts. It's a good feeling to make something for someone.




No comments:

Post a Comment