Thursday, August 19, 2010

My first creations!
I joined the local wood turning club after watching a demo at an agricultural show. Was hooked on the first night. Amazing to work with the wood, the colours, the grain, the feel of it, the smoothness. Yes, she is hooked.
Started with the honey dippers, large, more refined and then the dinky version. Lots of fun to play with the design. Couldn't believe I could make something after one night at the beginners class. My dad has the first one to open in his birthday parcel.
The cheese knife gave such a great sense of achievement. It was for my husband, for his birthday. Had to wait a week between making it and giving it to him. Was so proud couldn't wait for him to open it!
And then the bowl, my first bowl, green turned ie from a piece of wood that was a tree 2 days earlier. What an experience! Wet shavings flying over my shoulder, into my hair, down my shirt. Can't describe what an amazing experience it was to turn green. The wood was a piece of Camphor Laurel. The smell was intoxicating and the grain so incredible. It turned so easily and the shape seemed to appear before my eyes. The curve at the rim seems just right. Now it's packed in amongst its shavings in a plastic bag, so it doesn't dry too quickly. It was turned rough and I get to work on it again 3 months from now. Ah but can I wait that long.......







































No comments:

Post a Comment