Saturday, August 28, 2010




Sms/text message received from a mum at my daughters' school:
" Wow! Congratulations on your achievement at the Gold Coast Show! Shona"
My surprised reply:
" Thanks Shona but I haven't got there yet, going tomorrow, did you see my cheese knife? S"
"YES! It won a prize!"
"No ways!! I am so excited"
Following day = family outing to see mum's achievement.
The Gold Coast Woodturners had set up a wonderful exhibition of wood turning at the Gold Coast Show. Amazing, quality work, beautifully finished. Not quite sure how my novice effort was placed 2nd - yes 2nd, maybe there weren't many entries in that category or something : ) however must say I was very proud. The girls got the chance to make a small pyrography bird picture, encouraged by Ray, which was a lovely way for them to have fun on the stand. We watched Eddie & Vince at the lathe and the girls were thrilled with the little wooden boxes they came away with. A word about Ray - Ray turns burls (they are like a growth you see on the side of a tree) into incredible bowls. I watched his demo one evening at the club (he is the advanced class tutor). Was very inspiring. He said he'd mentioned to Anne we must go round to his workshop. I told him he may regret that invitation. I already joke to Anne that she'll be closing the curtains when she sees me coming soon!
And so this incredible journey in wood continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment